According to health officials, precut onions made at least 73 people in 22 states gravely ill on Tuesday.
A recall for all varieties of Gills Onions was issued by the US Food and Drug Administration due to possible contamination with Salmonella, a dangerous and occasionally fatal bacterial infection.
The FDA stated that the Gills items that were transported to Arizona, California, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington were thought to be the cause of the outbreak and should be well past their August 2023 use-by dates.
Since the products have beyond their use-by date, they theoretically shouldn’t be remaining on store shelves. However, even if the products had been kept in a freezer, the FDA advised anyone who bought any of the mirepoix or diced onion products to discard them.
fifteen of the 73 individuals who are documented to have become ill needed to be hospitalized.
It’s possible that some of these people got the infection from food services and other kinds of restaurants in the states where Gills are marketed.
[READ MORE: 90’s Rapper Dead at Age 57]